What is LinkedIn?
I’m sure by now you’ve heard of LinkedIn and most likely received frequent emails prompting you to sign up. You are probably wondering what it’s all about, assuming it is another version of Facebook, but I’m here to tell you that while they both appear to be similar social media sites, in reality they are very different.
While Facebook is great for socialising with friends and family, uploading photos and videos, and sharing personal information, LinkedIn was designed specifically for the business community and has various features allowing you to present yourself and your achievements as a business professional, to a completely different demographic.
- LinkedIn was founded in 2002 – 2 years prior to facebook!
- There are over 200 million LinkedIn members, in over 200 countries
- 65% of LinkedIn users are male – with the biggest percentage of users being 35-54 years old
- The top 3 countries (in terms of members are): 1. United States / 2. India / 3. UK
- There are currently more than 2,600,000 company pages on LinkedIn
- LinkedIn was co-founded by Reid Hoffman who also co-founded Paypal
3 Reasons to Sign Up
- Promote your Professional Profile
LinkedIn gives you the opportunity to create a presence in your industry. Much like a resume, your profile outlines your current and previous professional experience, your educational background, your company and its industry, and any websites you are affiliated with. Additionally, your connections can ‘Endorse’ your skills and write ‘Recommendations’ that appear on your profile page.
- Impress Prospective Employers
Recruiters and HR professionals are using LinkedIn to headhunt candidates. The more information you include on your page in the ‘Skills’ and ‘Summary’ sections, the more likely you are to appear in their searches based on keywords and location.
- Stay Connected
Search for jobs, join groups, research companies and communicate with people in your network. Be the first to hear of news and job openings in businesses you may want to work for or partner with.
So what are you waiting for? Sign up, start networking and build your career today!
Here are some things you can do to stay in touch with us:
- Register for Job Email Alerts in our Candidate Centre:
- Follow us on LinkedIn for all the latest news:
- Download our Careers App for iPhone via iTunes or on Android from the Google Play/Android Market.
Recruitment Consultant| Hitachi Construction Machinery Australia