Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
What is a safety data sheet?
A Safety Data Sheet (SDS), previously called a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), is a document that provides information on the properties of hazardous chemicals that are being manufactured or imported for use, handling or storage in Australia. Also on how these hazardous chemicals can affect health and safety in the workplace. For example a SDS includes the following information on:
- • The identity of the chemical
- • Health and physicochemical hazards
- • Correct safety procedures when storing and handling
- • What to do in accidents and emergencies
- • Disposal considerations